Are you normal or high risk?
Knowing this helps you understand how often you need to be screened.
2 - How much estrogen have you been exposed to?
- I got my period during/after age 12.
- I gave birth before age 30 & had several pregnancies
- I have breast fed
- I entered menopause before age 55.
- I was a normal weight after menopause.
- I have not used birth control pills for 10 years or so.
- I have not used HRT (estrogen/hormone pills).
- I got my period before age 12.
- I have never had children, or did so after age 30.
- I have not breast fed
- I entered menopause after age 55.
- I was overweight after menopause.
- I am taking birth control pills now.
- I have used HRT (estrogen/hormone pills).
3 - Do you have a relative who has had breast cancer?
- Still at risk, as 80% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history.
- Mother's or father's side still counts.
This doubles your risk
- My mother, sister or daughter has had breast cancer.
4 - Any breast conditions?
- I have fibrocystic (lumpy) breasts or dense breasts.
- I have had a biopsy before, or found atypical hyperplasia.
5 - Lifestyle habits?
- I do not consume alcohol
- I exercise regularly.
- I occasionally have an alcoholic beverage.
- I am somewhat physically active.
- I drink more than one alcoholic beverage a day.
- I am rarely physically active.